Ah the manufacturing industry, you all are an intelligent, interesting (and sometimes maybe even a little stubborn) group of businesses. For several years now, marketing agencies like ours have been working to get the message of inbound marketing to manufacturing companies so they can understand the many benefits it can offer them. We often get resistance because: “inbound doesn’t make sense for our business, we are far too complex.” But now, not only do we know that inbound strategies can work for manufacturing, but HubSpot has given us a 76-page document to prove it works for any nay-sayers out there.
So what does the report say that should change the opinion of these skeptical companies? Here's a peak at some of the main highlights from HubSpot's 2015 State of Inbound report:
Now let's break it all down:
#1. Inbound is the preferred marketing strategy regardless of company type. B2B, B2C, nonprofit.
Basically, this means that everyone who knows a little bit about what’s happening in the world of marketing is implementing inbound tactics. Inbound works for B2B, B2C, and nonprofit. 4,000 people were surveyed, and inbound marketing had a 75% likelihood of being picked as the marketing approach of choice for their business. Outbound marketing had only a 25% chance. The 3:1 ratio remained similar across all company types (B2B, B2C, and nonprofit).
#2. Inbound marketing campaigns achieve a higher ROI than outbound tactics. This remains the case across all different business sizes and budgets.
HubSpot’s data shows that businesses of all sizes, starting with marketing budgets of $25,000 up to $5M annually report that inbound marketing initiatives achieve a higher ROI. Across all marketing budget amounts, companies experienced an average of 48% more ROI with inbound as compared to outbound marketing investments.
#3. Senior Executives favor inbound marketing more than outbound
HubSpot’s data shows that the further a person advanced in the company, the more likely they were to favor the inbound methodology. About 76% of all Senior Executives in B2B, B2C and nonprofits agree that outbound is the best choice. The managers and senior manager level overwhelmingly support outbound as the best marketing approach. The shift takes place somewhere around the VP/Director level.
#4. Companies are three times more likely to see a return on inbound than outbound
Just to make sure you understood the ROI benefits we mentioned in stat #3, here’s another big one. Inbound is overwhelmingly the preferred marketing method for companies spending less than $5M annually on marketing. Additionally, if a company spends less than $100,000 on marketing annually, they’re actually four times more likely to implement inbound than outbound.
#5. Leading marketers know that inbound can be a long process. Past successes and failures with inbound marketing correlate directly with future inbound budget increases.
You can start inbound by giving it a few of your resources, watch it go to work, and when you see some positive results, you increase the inbound budget. HubSpot reports that when companies experienced a positive inbound ROI for 2015, they were twice as likely to receive a higher budget for 2016.
Still a skeptic? Take a look for yourself and dig deep into all the amazing facts in the report, it might be just what you need to see how you can take the complexities of your manufacturing business and fit them nicely into a successful, high ROI inbound strategy.